Press to Leave Site

Paying for Crime Related Expenses

Victim Compensation Program

California Victim Compensation Program (CalVCP)

The California Victim Compensation Program (CalVCP) can reimburse victims of violent crime for certain crime-related expenses. The crimes that are covered include: domestic violence, child abuse, sexual and physical assault, homicide, robbery, drunk driving, and vehicular manslaughter. Family members and dependents may also qualify for assistance from CalVCP.

Who Qualifies for Victim Compensation?

CalVCP can help victims of crimes such as:

  • Domestic Violence

  • Child Abuse

  • Assault

  • Sexual Assault

  • Elder Abuse

  • Homicide

  • Robbery

  • Drunk Driving

  • Human Trafficking

  • Vehicular Manslaughter

  • Hate Crimes

Minors who suffer emotional injuries as a result of witnessing a violent crime may be eligible for up to $5,000 for mental health counseling through CalVCP.

CalVCP can help victims of crimes that occur in California as well as California residents who become victims while visiting other states or outside the country.

Additionally, people who suffer a monetary loss because of death or injury to a crime victim may also be eligible for compensation. These victims can include:

  • Spouses or domestic partners

  • Child

  • Parents

  • Legal Guardians

  • Brothers

  • Sisters

  • Grandparents

  • Grandchildren

What Expenses Can CalVCB Help Pay?

  • Medical Treatment

  • Dental Treatment

  • Mental health services

  • Income loss

  • Funeral and burial expenses

  • Home or vehicle modifications

  • Loss of support for dependents when a victim is killed or disables because of a crime

  • Home security

  • Relocation

  • Crime scene cleanup

What Expenses Cannot Be Paid by CalVCB?

  • Any expenses not related to the crime

  • Any expenses paid by insurance or another source of reimbursement or coverage

  • Expenses for lost, stolen, or damaged property

  • Damages for pain and suffering

There are limits on how much can be paid for each loss.

The program cannot pay any expense for a person who is on felony probation, on parole, or any person in county jail or in prison.

How Do I Apply for Victim Compensation?

  • Contact your local Victim Witness Assistance Center at: A victim advocate can help victims complete and submit an application, and help victims learn more about the criminal justice system.

  • Call CalVCB at 800-777-9229

  • Download an application at

  • Email CalVCB at

Local Assistance

Resources for victims are available in all 58 counties throughout California. Advocates working with County Victim Witness Assistance Centers are available to help individuals apply for assistance, refer victims to crisis facilities, and help accompany them through the criminal justice process.

Contact CalVCB by calling the CalVCB Helpline at 1-800-777-9229.

Contact a victim advocate and find additional victim resources and services in your county by visiting the Local Help page: